CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Stuck in the middle of O and X

So I have been gone for a while. Am sorry guys but duty called and blogging does not put food on my table:), a girl's gat to work for her pay, right?

Anyway, lots have been happening o, I don’t even know where to start from. I must warn you all at this point that this post promises to be a long one o! So grab a snack, sit back and relax as I nack una tory,lol…

Those that have been following my gist know who O and Mr. X are. For those who don’t know, O is my current bobo while Mr. X as his name sounds is my ex-boyfriend.

Some weeks back, I blogged about how Mr. X was staging a serious comeback into my life and proposing marriage.
Well I ‘ll take my gist back to weeks back too. Mr. X had called me that evening to say he was at my house gate and I should come and open the gate for him. I had told him to stop visiting my home so I don’t send the wrong signals to my folks. Knowing my mum, it wont be long before she started asking if we were back together and i was yet to bring O home cos I didn’t know what their reaction would be since he wasn’t Ibo.

So that evening when X came calling, I was in a sour mood. I had been expecting O’s call all day to no avail so I was kinda pissed before X called to say he was at my gate. He wasn’t the one I wanted to see so I snappily told him that he had come at the wrong time and I was sleeping. He wasn’t going to go back so easily without seeing me so he kept pleading that I come down even for 5 mins so he could see my face. I was getting really annoyed at his insistence and when he said “Please honey, just come down so I can give you a kiss before before I leave”, I couldn’t help retorting Kiss? I have told you to stop deceiving urself, I am not ur girlfriend so stop acting like I am, if you insist on carrying in this way, I’ll have to stop answering ur calls. I am sleeping so just go!”.
I said some more rude stuff to him so I wasn’t surprised when his tone grew angry and he told me that he didn’t like the way I talked to him. He was being nice and caring to me while I always treated him like shit. He was saying “Aphrodite, what do you mean by you will stop taking my calls, you have to mind the things you say to me…” I didn’t wait to listen to the rest of his tirade, I ended the call. Rude… I know…I wanted to be rude.

A while later when i thought about what had happened, I felt remorse at the attitude I had given him and all because of O who didn’t even call me much less visiting. I felt like calling him-X to apologize but I decided to leave things till the following day.

I didn’t call the next day. Two days later, I called him. I thought he was probably still mad at our exchange the last time so I was surprised when I called and he sounded really calm and sweet like nothing happened. He even told me he had wanted to visit me at work that day but couldn’t because of work pressure at his office. When I said I was sorry about how I dropped the phone on him during our last conversation, he quickly accepted my apologies and said that it was okay. He obviously didn’t expect that I would call to apologise so it had come as a surprise to him. Before we ended the conversation, he told me he wasn’t feeling very well and wanted to go to the hospital the next day.

Fast forward to days later, X hadn’t called me unlike him so I called to find out if he was okay.(Guys, I remembered ur advice on how I should not close the door totally on X till I was sure of things with O). It turned out that since the last time we spoke, his sickness had gotten worse and he hadn’t even been going to work. Well, I kept calling each day to check up on him but I realised that he was getting the impression that my calls meant that I had accepted him back into my life cos he kept saying things like- “Come down to the house and prepare Ukwa(an ibo delicacy) for me” or “I was expecting that you would visit after work today”.
He was ill and I didn’t want us to get into any argument so I always replied that I was very busy in the office and couldn’t come.

Meanwhile things with O were going on well although I was feeling that he wasn’t paying me enough attention. He wasn’t calling as often as I would have liked and when I complained that I was feeling neglected, he always apologised and explained that he was caught up with stuff at the office. It was during that period, I wrote my previous post on how I needed some reassurance that he really cared about me the way I did for him.

This gist is getting too long sha. I better get to summarizing sharpish.

Last weekend, I didn’t see O. He had to work Saturday(told you guys some time ago that he is a banker). He had promised to see me after his work that day only to call back and tell me that his car had developed a problem and he wouldn’t be able to make it down as agreed. I told him it was okay although I really wanted to see him. I had even made a new hairdo that day and wanted him to see it. Too bad.

Sunday came and O called to say his car was still bad. Something about overheating and a leaking radiator. He couldn’t drive it until his mechanic had a look at it which wouldn’t be until Monday. I resigned myself to not seeing him again and went out to visit my cousin who had just given birth to a baby girl.

When I returned, X called to say he was around my neighbourhood and wanted to see me. I told him to wait outside my house and went down to meet him. We took a walk down to this cool spot where we used to go in the old days when we were still an item. Then we would go there, sit on the huge stones and gist for long periods.
So that Sunday evening, we went there. It was the first time we would be going there since our break-up more than a year ago. I felt we needed to talk. He needed to understand that my show of concern during his illness was just that-a show of concern from a friend- and didn’t signify that we were back together or that I had broken off my relationship with O although he had never accepted the fact that I was in a relationship anyway.

So I brought up the issue. I told him not to misinterpret my actions during his illness. He laughed as if I had said the funniest thing in the world. He said I was his and that no man could take me away from him. He insisted I wasn’t dating anyone and was only telling him that to make him jealous. Even after showing him some of O’s text messages on my phone, he still refused to acknowledge him. We talked for hours, him pleading that we should start afresh and me insisting I couldn’t just end my relationship with my boyfriend cos he asked it.
I asked him “Why didn’t you just stay out of my life? Why did you have to come back and make things complicated for me?”
I wasn’t prepared for his reply. “Seriously now, do you really want me to leave you? Should I stop coming around you and just forget you?”
Meeen…this was the point where I needed to stamp my foot on the ground and say a very solid YES! But guess what people, I was tongue tied. I didn’t know what to say. His question was very serious and he sounded very final about it like if I just say yes, he would leave and never bother me again. I wasn’t too sure if that was what I really wanted anymore. These past weeks, he had been really loving, bringing back memories of how good we were together. Unlike O, he really showers me with attention the way I like not to forget that he is Ibo and catholic like me. My folks like him and am not sure if they would accept O.
All these were thoughts racing through my mind as I sat there. He was looking at me, waiting for an answer to his question then he asked again. “Do you want me to leave you alone? If that’s what you want, then I will cos I don’t want you mentioning another guy again after today”
I looked into his face and I knew he meant every word he was saying.
“Can I give you an answer when next we see?”
“No, i need an answer now”
“I said I’ll give you an answer when next we see”
“And when will that be? Tomorrow?”
“No not tomorrow…next Saturday, I’ll definitely have an answer for you by then”


That’s it friends. I still haven’t decided what to do next. I have two options before me.
One, accept X back and leave O or Two, tell X to go to hell and stick with O.

I should also add that yesterday-Monday, O surprised me by showing up very early in my office. He said he had some official errand to run in the area and wanted to use that opportunity to see me since he had missed me so much. I was very happy. It’s the little things like that bring the smile to my face. Later on in the day, I was chatting with O online and brought up the issue of my ex. I told him X wanted us to get back together and I needed to know exactly how he felt about me cos sometimes I am not so sure if his feelings for me are really strong and not just some fickle infatuation cos i've got a pretty face and a nice body.
I wanted to hear him say how much he loved me and how it would break his heart if I left him for some other guy and how he would give me more attention from now on.
He didn’t say any of that. Instead he asked me what I wanted to do. His question was: “So do you want to go back with ur ex?” I replied “No but I need to know that you will be there for me always”.
His reply was that he was the one who wasnt sure of me and my feelings for him.
Later that night, he sent me a text message that read- “I feel like I have already lost you”.

Guys I have to stop here now cos if una leave me I go just dey yarn dey go.
I need your sincere advice everyone.

33 comments:

LG said...

First!!!

lol!!@blogging does not put food on my table- babe u r on ur own oooo

LG said...

babe, u alone KNOW WAT U WANT, shikena!!!

Mz. Dee said...

Wow i dont even knw wat to say.. LG is right.. u know wat u want.
Personally.. i think u shud stick with O..i'm jst sayin dis 4rm a bit of experience even tho i'm probably much yunger than u.
I've been datin a guy 4 a year and suddenly my ex came bk..the guy rily flattered me.. made me want him and everythin. i started talkin to my boo bout us breakin up. But then i realized everythin i was feelin for my x was infatuation.. if u let go of O wud u be happy? He nidz u more now cos it seemz lyk he's goin thru a rough time...i think u shud stick with him. It soundz more lyk ure confused cos u love the attention coming 4rm X.. just think bout it.. i'm sure u'll figure things out

Femi Adeyemi said...

u decide..besides if O wasnt calling u what stops u from calling him? his car broke down, why didnt he take a cab or u do same? love is about sacrifices.

X..theres a reason he is an X. if he was that good u guys wouldnt have broken up in the 1st place..or could he be trying to get back at u for something?

tribe shouldn't be an issue when its love but i have to accept it is really. once married wouldn't want anyone to spend the rest of their lives unhappy in their marriage.

anyways maybe O doesn't know how much u need his attention and reassurance, so tell him and lets c if he changes.

goodluck. pray u make the right decisions. take good care

Mommy said...

"u decide..besides if O wasnt calling u what stops u from calling him? his car broke down, why didnt he take a cab or u do same? love is about sacrifices.

X..theres a reason he is an X. if he was that good u guys wouldnt have broken up in the 1st place..or could he be trying to get back at u for something?

tribe shouldn't be an issue when its love but i have to accept it is really. once married wouldn't want anyone to spend the rest of their lives unhappy in their marriage.

anyways maybe O doesn't know how much u need his attention and reassurance, so tell him and lets c if he changes.

goodluck. pray u make the right decisions. take good care"

The Genius within has said it all. Take care babes!

Aphrodite said...

@lg, on my own? abeg if u dey make money from this thing, you better let me know o
You are right babe but am confused o, dony know if i know what i want anymore sef.

@mz.dee, thanks for sharing.Am thinking hard but havnt figured things out yet.

@The genius,you are very right. I was crossed cos he couldnt take a cab to come down but now i think of it, what stopped me from doing the same?
i have told O how i feel about his not giving me enough attention so many times and i dont want to continue. Makes me look too needy.
Am praying hard too.

@mommy, you just repeated the genius so i guess my comment above applies to u too. Thanks dear.

Simi Speaks said...

who makes ur heart leap AND can put plenti food on the table?

lol

simple as that!

tobenna said...

Simi speaks has a point. At least, her first point.
But, the question should be in reverse. O and X should answer.
Why did you & X break up?
Is the reason concrete?

My take...
You've been with X, so you know the kind of person he is. You also know the kind of person you are.
It is also clear that O really likes you. Except that you are not sure o what he feels for you.
Love is 100% each and not 50/50.

The real honest to God question you should be asking is: What are you looking for? Love or marriage or both?

By the way, have you asked X why he changed his mind? Point blank.

Tairebabs said...

Chosing between two men, meeeeehhn I have been there. It's not pretty at all. Believe me people will tell u so much stuff and give u all kinds of advice but at the end of the day it all comes down to you. I no envy you o but the post was damn interesting...waiting for your update

Afrobabe said...

first of all u need to teach me how to make ukwa...I think I know how...oil,salt pepper...stock fish and ukwa right?????

Afrobabe said...

hmmmmmmmmmm....my thinking cap on!!!

me thinks its you dont want ex out of ur life for a reason...u probably still have the hots for him...

u in lag? cos I need to perfect my ukwa skills oh....plan to marry an ibo man..

but seriously if u still have feelings for ur ex then u cant get anywhere with O....

no one can make this decision for u...

soupasexy said...

awwww. this is kinda hard. dont even know what to say. y did u break up with x in the first place? is he desperately trying to come back because he knows someone else wants u? u have to check on how it was before in ur rship with x and wat caused the break up..am not even really sure of o sef, he needs to step up his game jare.

u know wat, just do u...play two of them and see who cares the most, telling them u r not with the other. but u have to be very sharp to play this game without getting caught, cos if u do u might loose both.

lol..no mind me o, i just dey yarn. just follow ur heart ok.

Anonymous said...

I think perhaps that the fact that u really haven't let go of X is the reason y u have doubts abt O otherwise u would have simply told X to leave when he asked the question.

U've been with X and there's a reason he's ur ex. I honestly won't advice u to get back with an ex but if u have truly forgiven him and u think u can overlook whatever he did and won't bring it up later when u have disagreements then u might want to consider it.

Unless u can let go of X and stop comparing him and O, u won't really enjoy the relationship with O.

U need to search ur heart and try to see which one u can really stay with thru the best and worst of times.

Unknown said...

'The genius within' has said it all o. And sometimes things just take care of themselves without u having to decide either way... so there's something in soupasexy's advice too.

Let them fight it out and the one 'who can run the distance' would win. But be discreet. For a new relationship, O seems rather laid back. Could it be that he has other 'options' and has not fully committed himself? In my experience, if a guy really wants to see you, nothing will stand in his way... certainly not a bad car...

All the best in this one, babe. Pray and wait it out.

Thirty + said...

Babes you put me for tight corner because you asked on my blog for sisterly advice. I been done dey think my own too much :)

Anyhoos, @genius within has said most of it.

Aphrodite, if a guy does not call you for 1-3 days it does not mean he has stopped loving you.

What attention do you need from O?
How do you feel when you don't get that attention?
Why do you need that attention?
Are you realistic in your expectations.

Infact I feel like writing you a very long email you can send me your addy if you like.

Take Kia

Chari said...

ahahn 15 comments already? geeezzz!!!!!!!

na wa o...

come how far with the one that u r giving mr. X amber light?

abeg abeg make up your mind....I think O is it...give it up with X mayn ahahn...let it go...its all in the last let it remain that way...

NikkiSab said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
NikkiSab said...

Wow!!! Sista, dis is a serious mata of d heart o. You av to look deep within n choose who u want to be with. I feel questions u shd ax urself b4 ur decision r like ; Why did u and X break up? Could O really av a reason to b unsure of ur feelings about him? If u go back to X will he continue dis attention giving? Will X go back to d reason why u broke up with him in d 1st place? Has O really been tied up or cld he have really tried to chk up on u..car or not? Its been a year since u broke up with X, why d fire brigade approach to gettin u back? R u scared to stay with O becos u still gettin to know him whereas, u already know X well? And finally Not being IBO or Catholic is it really a criteria for happiness?
Time is almost running out dear, today is thursday, but if u need more time take it. This is ur life and u need to be sure wat u want & WHO u want to b with and b accept the consequence of ur decision. (I say all dis cos it happened to me).

NikkiSab said...

oh and em.... wen shd I come and Ukwa becos d tin na gba isii'm popcorn!!! lol

princesa said...

This one na real JAMB assignment you give us o!

I think there is some sense in soupa's comment. You dont need to give them an answer just yet.
Play the game...i ope you dont lose out at the end sha.

anonymous gal(retired blogger) said...

y cant bloggin put food on my table?my dream job come thru.it would b called pay as u blog.
ok so u either love ur ex or u love the attention.only u knows tha ans

Naija Chickito said...

This is not a contest between X an O. It's about you and what you honestly desire. You are not yet fully into O, because you feel he is not so into you and your folks may not accept him. This may be a warning signal.

At this time, I time it is wise to let things flow...what do I mean? Me sef no know. But what is yours will surely come to you. For all you know, neither could be the right guy.

As you pointed out already, you are a pretty chic. This should be a fun time for you and not a do or die affair. Once again, only you know what you truly need. Go for it!

Flourishing Florida said...

if u ask me, i'd say dat u should look beyond urself in all these. am sorry 2 say this & u may not like 2 hear it but i think u r being selfish. u r considering ONLY urself n this relationship. how X or O makes u feel. who shows u more attention. who ur parents would accept. everything so far as been abt u! but sweetheart, a relationship is abt 2 pple! u r as important as he is!

pls, 4 one min look @ this beyond urself. which of these guys would u really be with, even if he was not paying u sufficent attention (i hate 2 tell u dis, most husbands arent @ their hands & feet 4 their wives, so d sooner d wives learn 2 entertain demselves & not look outside, d better favour she does herself), even if he wasn't igbo, even if he wasn't catholic, even if ur family disowns u cos of him, even if u have 2 DIE (yes die) 4 d sake of dat love. who r u willing to love? who r u willing 2 b everything he needs 2 b happy? who would u give d whole world 2 b with, even @ a price. yeah yeah, am sounding like chick-flicks but they @ least teach ur one lesson - love is not abt what u r going to give, but what u r willing to give!!!!!!!

Flourishing Florida said...

@ anon. gal: i don't think she 'really' loves X. It's obviously O she loves, but unfortunately X has those qualities she'd do love if O had. But guess wot, Aphrodite, O doesn't have dem. It doesn't make him a big choice. he's just who he is, d sooner u get 2 accept dat fact, d better 4 u. u have 2 readjust urself, love. u have make sacrifices. daz wot being a relationship is abt. dat especially wot being married is abt. pls, don't hate me 4 saying these. but am being as candid as i've ever been. & it's cos i want 2 see u happy, now & n d future.

Chari said...

omo mayn seee FFF jus break the whole thing down o..ahahn...she for like open Aunty FFF newspaper...ahahn...

Flourishing Florida said...

babes, i've come 2 apologise 4 my comment yesterday. i think i was judgmental & harsh. am really sorry

Aphrodite said...

@simi speaks, you make it sound very easy dear. I assure you it isn’t. Thanks for the advice anyway.

@tobenna read the last two posts. You’ll se why I broke up with X. It wasn’t a real bug deal as such anyway. I am looking for love and marriage ultimately to culminate the love abi u don’t want me to be like you,lol…?
I have asked X why he came back and his reason was that he has always been there, just felt he needed to give me time to get over what happened btw us.

@tairebabs am happy you found the post interesting. It’s really not pretty having to choose between two men. One who love but who isn’t showing enough drive and the other you aint sure of what you feel anymore but from every indication seems like the better choice. It’s really not pretty at all.

@afrobabe, lol…, you got the ingredients right, its now left for u to learn the procedure. Am ready to teach you anytime babes. You are marrying an Ibo guy, Yippee! I wish I had the same courage as you do.
I admit I still have some feelings for X but they don’t compare with what I feel for O, if only O can be more expressive…

@soupa,I don’t think X is coming back because someone else wants me. As far as he is concerned no other person exists. Am thinking hard about this advice of yours sha. Playing them might not be a totally bad idea at least until am sure who I’d rather be with.

@iwalewa, I find a lot of truth in your comment. Thanks so much dear.

@naijalines, a big hug to you joo. You really spoke my mind. I actually feel O is being laidback because he know how much I care about him. I have complained yet, he doesn’t show any sign of changing his attitude.

@30+ sister mine, thanks for answering my call. I believe that if a guy professes his care and love he should show it by his actions and not by words alone. Why wont he call for 3 days when he is not in jail or cant get to a phone? With the little experience I have in relationships I find that when a man loves a girl, he wants to talk to her always, be with her and all. I shouldn’t be the only one who want to hear his voice, he should feel the same way too, otherwise it is one-sided and I don’t do one-sided.
Will appreciate ur email. Expect my addy.

@charizard, I am suspecting you sha, I hope say O never give you bribe o,lol….

@nikkisab dear, will answer your questions.
Why did I break up with X- the answer is in a couple of posts behind
Do I have a reason to be unsure of O’s feeling for me- Yes, he doesn’t show it. He doesn’t make that extra effort to call or see me these days.
Will X continue to show me attention if I go back to him? I think yes, cos even when we were together he was doing that.
Will X go back to why we broke up? He has promised to me on his life that what happened will never repeat itself again. He has promised to be faithful to me till death do us part. According to him, he hasn’t even been with (made love) another woman since I left him last year.
Being Ibo/catholic isn’t a criteria for happiness. It doesn’t really bother me that much even though I’d love for my kids to grow up under one faith. It’s just that am not sure of O’s feeling. You love Ukwa too, lots of Ukwa lovers in the house,lol…

@princesa, lol…I hope I don’t lose out too. Thanks babes.

@anon gal, for now I know am loving the attention.

@naijachickito, thank so much babes. It really isn’t a do or die affair. Maybe its just best to let things flow as u suggested.

@Florida, sweetie first have a big hug for caring so much to say all you did. Am not upset. I just love you more.
I agree, I may be thinking too much about my self but dear, its really all about me for now. I know what I feel but I need to know that O feels exactly the same way. I have seen girls that show all the love inb this world to their guys only to end up heartbroken. That one is not my portion sha, am only saying that my man has to makes me feel good and loved, if not, it isn’t worth it. I wouldn’t want to be with a man who doesn’t pay me sufficient attention as you point it cos marriage is for life and one day I’ll start to feel neglected and decide to seek that love with someone else(God forbid!). I don’t intend to entertain myself, my husband will entertain me and I will entertain him too in return.
I will not be willing to draw the ire of my parents and die for the sake of a man who doesn’t even appreciate it or think am worth it or who wouldn’t do the same for me if he was in my shoes. Love is about giving and receiving not one sided.

@charizard, I support u. FFF suppose go start agony aunt column,lol…

@Flo, love, you did nothing wrong. You were just being a sweetheart.

Anonymous said...

12 SECRETS
12 REVELATIONS
12 LIVES
22 DAYS
ARRIVING MONDAY, 26TH MAY 2008
http://14thandserenity.blogspot.com/

badderchic said...

Truth be told, only you can tell what you really want, not one of us can tell you who is better because na only you know them both so at this point, I have a song to sing and it goes thus

prayer is the key
prayer is the key
prayer is the master key
Jesus started with prayer and
ended with prayer
prayer is the master key.

soupasexy said...

lol @ badderchick.
prayer is indeed the master key.
i was just wondering what kind of underwear jessica alba is wearing on ur profile pic, abi na pampers?

Smaragd said...

wow!
aphrodite dearie, the genius within probably is right.

i am suspicious of X's limpid reaction to ur outburst. why did he waive the "rude" incidence so easily? is that how he is normally?

and as naijalines said, O is rather laidback for a new boyfee!

have u seen the movie "letters to a stranger"? its's unusually smart for a naija movie, and describes ur situation to a T. watch it.

my last words would be this, it's not compulsory to be with either guy ryt now if they dont cut it, free urself, take a break and search within. u'll find the answers u seek.

Soupa, i tire for the pant o!lol

Anonymous said...

Well written article.

Anonymous said...

So I may be really late but I think you should pick X rather than O. Lol (wetin concern me)!!! But I think people show u who they are and they cannot change much...If O is not enough so early in the relationship and u have to put in all this work, get ready for a forever lifetime of it....All marriages are not a bed of roses (speaking from expetience ) so u need someone who knows it is a life thing....esp since u are catholic, u know what I am saying and so are gonna need a caring man for a lifetime, think bout it ooh ...(But when u love someone everything is easier...chai that means O) hey I choose